I have received several admonitions to pray, but lately they have been regarding the election. So I offer a different approach, because the best thing that could happen to our nation would be for our nation to see Jesus-followers living and loving like Jesus consistently and authentically. So, here’s my prayer structure:
- Lord show me the magnitude of your grace toward me, that I might hunger for You.
- Hear my thanks and affection because You are good, and I’m grateful to be loved by You.
- Slay my selfishness, that I might see YOUR will as my FIRST and BEST choice.
- Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.
- Make my heart attentive to your word, hungry to put it into practice.
- Give me eyes to see other people as you see them and clothe me with compassion to love them as You love them.
- Convict me of my blind spots and make me soft and teachable before Your Spirit.
- Give me courage to live with integrity before my neighbors.
- Use me to show grace to others when they fail, holding out hope through Jesus Christ to every broken heart.
- Focus my hope on YOU, not on circumstances, politics, wealth, or achievement.
- Humble my heart so that I listen more than I speak.
- Make my words consistent with Your Word, my values consistent with Your commands.
- And lead me closer to Your heart every day, empower me to obey and honor you more every day.
- For YOURS is the Kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
Praying for our nation begins with humbling ourselves before our gracious Savior.